G. A. Stowers Furniture Company-Our store in San Antonio
Mr. G. A. Stowers, the founder of G. A. Stowers Furniture Company, was born in Atlanta Georgia in 1867. At the age of 15, he built a small building and opened a grocery store and fruit stand on a lot occupied by his father’s residence. He operated this business for three years and then associated himself with his father in the operation of a small furniture store in Atlanta.
In 1887 Mr. Stowers sold his interest to his brother; then moved to Birmingham and opened his first independent business. This business venture was a success and it was not long before he had stores in several other cities, namely Anniston, Alabama; Memphis, Tennessee; and Fort Worth, Dallas, Waco and San Antonio, Texas.
In 1893 he decided to move his headquarters from Birmingham to San Antonio, Texas. All the stores were closed with the exception of the San Antonio store and the Birmingham store. In 1911 the store in Birmingham was sold.
In 1900 the Lincoln Furniture Company at Houston was purchased. The downtown store formerly occupied by Stowers was built in 1908. In 1905 Mr. Stowers opened a store in Laredo, Texas and one at Cuero, Texas in 1907.
Mr. Stowers died February 16, 1917.
The store at 210 W. Rector was opened in November of 1965.